Chapelle ND des Neiges (chapel) in Mongésin-Longefoy: Open access

chapelle montgésin
Avenue de la Tarentaise Aime
73210 Aime-la-Plagne
See the map
The chapel, which was built in 1658, stands at the back of this small hamlet, at 1,500 metres above sea level. The interior is ornately decorated with murals, an altarpiece dedicated to the Virgin Mary, a wrought-iron grille dating back to 1758 and three paintings (votive offerings).
This hamlet chapel has been returned to its former splendour thanks to extensive restoration works, beginning in 2003 and carried out by volunteers from Longefoy's Association des Amis du Patrimoine.
One of the participants was Didier Gilbert, a restorer and gilder by trade who discovered the chapel when visiting the region.
He spent around ten summers renovating the altarpiece covered in gold and silver leaf.
On either side of the altarpiece are 2 statues: on the left, is Saint Agatha - (who helped protect villages from fire) and on the right, Saint Apollonia (who gave protection against toothache).
Also noteworthy are 3 votive offerings: paintings given as a sign of thanks. One of them is classified as a listed monument and depicts 3 women praying to the Virgin Mary; one of the women has left a dead new-born on a bench, near a burning candle.
Mongésin chapel was considered a respite chapel: a sanctuary dedicated to the Virgin Mary where families hoping for a miracle would pray for their new-born to be brought back to life so the infant could be baptized.
From 01/07 to 31/08/2024, daily between 10 am and 6 pm.

Chapelle ND des Neiges (chapel) in Mongésin-Longefoy: Open access

Avenue de la Tarentaise Aime
73210 Aime-la-Plagne

This summer you'll love it!

There's always a good reason to come to La Plagne ❤️

For a safe summer
in the mountains
Super Huit
From 12 to 14 July 2024
LA 6000D
From 25 to 27 july 2024